Pleuroscopy, medical thoracoscopy & VATS (Video Assisted Thorecoscopic Surgery) are at times interchangeable terms which refer to a procedure, performed in a minimally invasive manner, providing physicians a glimpse into the pleural space ( a sac like space surrounding the Lungs ), both for diagnostic & therapeutic motives.
Diagnostic & Therapeutic Indication:
- Pleural effusion of unclear etiology
- Pleurodesis for Primary or metastatic pleural carcinomatosis and Recurrent Pneumothorax
- Management of early empyema & complicated parapneumonic effusion
- Definitive treatments of blebs or bullae
- Lung biopsy for diagnosis of interstitial lung disease of unclear etiology